White Bean & Fennel Soup
• 305g (1 1/2 cups) dried great northern or cannellini beans
• 60ml (1/4 cup) extra virgin olive oil
• 2 brown onions, finely chopped
• 1 medium carrot diced
• 2 stalks of celery diced
• 6 drained anchovy fillets, chopped
• 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• Fresh ground black pepper and pink salt.
• 500g Desiree potatoes, peeled, chopped
• 500g (about 4) baby fennel bulbs, fronds reserved, tough outer layer removed, thinly sliced lengthways
• 1L (4 cups) vegetable stock
• ½ cup of white wine (optional)
• 1L (4 cups) water
• Salt & ground black pepper, to taste
• Extra virgin olive oil, extra, to serve
• Step 1
Place the beans in a large bowl and cover with plenty of cold water. Cover and set aside overnight to soak. Drain and rinse, then drain again.
• Step 2
Heat the oil in a large deep sauce- pan over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery, anchovies garlic, and olive oil, cook, stirring often until soft and tender. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally.
• Step 3
Add the potatoes and fennel to the pan with seasoning, sauté for 5-8 mins, cover until the fennel softens slightly.
• Step 4
Add the drained beans, stock, wine and water to the pan, and stir to combine. Increase heat to high, cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, for a further 30 minutes or until the beans are tender and the soup thickens slightly.
Ladle the soup into serving bowls. Garnish with reserved fennel fronds, and drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil.
• Egg free
• Gluten free
• Lactose free
• Milk free
• Peanut free
• Sesame free
• Shellfish free
• Tree nut free
• Wheat free